Summer School on EU & International Law
The programme includes short, intensive courses on themes that are in line with the expertise of the university and the guest speakers. These courses will include both an overview of the core concepts of EU & International Law, and a deep-dive in the contemporary issues in these fields today.
In addition to these lessons, we will also offer a one-day field trip to the European institutions and social and cultural activities in Leuven.
Past Participant Quotes
“Leuven is very beautiful town near the station and the airport.”
“The teachers were incredible, and covered a lot of ground in the limited time available.”
“All the professors were very good. The visit to the Commission was excellent.”
“Pub crawl and city tour were very helpful to know the culture and history of the town.”
“With the law school located at the center of Leuven, it was very easy to go anywhere else. The facilities were very good and Wi-Fi worked fine during the whole week. The guesthouse was also very impressive, with cozy rooms and a good maintenance service.”
Why choose KU Leuven?
Founded in 1425, KU Leuven is the oldest university in Belgium, as well as being the oldest still existing Catholic university anywhere in the world. With more than 42,000 students, it’s also Belgium’s largest higher education institution and is considered to be one of the most prestigious research universities in Europe. The Faculty of Law is ranked 25th in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings. The University is ranked number 45 in the world.
The course targets graduate students in Law. Undergraduate students in their final year are also welcome to apply but should have had some exposure to at least one of the fields under study.
Dates & location
The 1-week course will run from Monday September 20th to Friday September 24th 2021.
The summer course takes place at KU Leuven, Belgium. By train the town of Leuven is 13 minutes away from Brussels Airport and 20 minutes from Brussels’ Central Station.
Accommodation is included in the registration fee.
The programme at a glance
All seminars take place in English. Curious? You can take a look at the preliminary programme (including dates and timings, field trips and social activities) here.
Presenting some of our Teachers
- Prof. dr. Koen Lenaerts, Professor of European Law at KU Leuven University and President of the EU Court of Justice
- Prof. dr. Geert De Baere, Professor at the Institute for European Law at KU Leuven University, and Judge of the EU General Court
- Prof. dr. Elise Muir, Professor of European Law at KU Leuven University and Visiting Professor at the College of Europe in Bruges, and director of the Institute for European Law of the KU Leuven
- Prof. dr. Jan Wouters, Professor of International Law and International Organizations at KU Leuven University, Jean Monnet Chair ad personam and Director of the Leuven Centre for Global Governance Studies and the Institute for International Law
- Prof. dr. Wouter Devroe, Professor Economic Law at KU Leuven University and Competition Law at Maastricht University, and co-director of the Consumer Competition Market institute
- Prof. dr. Veerle Colaert, Professor of Financial Law at KU Leuven University and co-director of the KU Leuven Jan Ronse Institute for Company and Financial Law
- Prof. dr. Koen Lemmens, Professor of European Law and International Human Rights Law at KU Leuven University and at the European Inter-University Center for Human Rights and Democratisation, and director of the Leuven Institute for Human Rights and Critical Studies
- Prof. dr. Gleider Hernandez, Professor of Public International Law at KU Leuven University and at Open Universiteit Nederland
- Prof. dr. Piet Van Nuffel, Professor of European law at KU Leuven University, visiting professor at the College of Europe and member of the Legal Service of the European Commission
The participation fee for the course includes tuition, accommodation, coffee breaks, lunches and activities.
Students from partner institutions € 850
Students from unaffiliated institutions € 950
Registration will be possible until August, 20th.
For more information, you can find our website here.